Fourteen Ten are delighted to announce the opening of Hammer & Tongs on December 5th 2016 on Farringdon Road.
Hammer & Tongs invites diners to experience outdoor eating indoors with both restaurant and menu focussed around the largest wood-fired grill in London; the bespoke braai measures over three meters long and is fired by Sickle Bush hardwood imported from Namibia and South Africa. The grill will be visible to diners and the interior palette of orange, blue, crimson, leather and copper will also reflect the warmth of Africa.
The entire menu (aside from salads and desserts) will be cooked over wood and served in sections of Skewers, Steaks & Cuts, Potije and Sides. The food is reflective of all the colonists that have moved through South Africa and left their mark with unusual spices and flavours rarely seen outside Africa such as Confetti Bush, Balderjan, Garlic Buchu, Molho Camperio Salsa and Blatjang (dish examples below). Head Chef Martin St.Marie’s love of cooking with herbs, plants and natural flavours was inspired by Anna Bonde-Mosesson with whom he worked for at Upper Glass with Jamie Oliver in the late 90s. St.Marie then moved to The Savoy Group before working throughout Scandinavia providing him with the opportunity to hone his skills for cooking with herbs and plants.
Four-time Bartender of the Year and (Hammer & Tongs General Manager) Pete Kendall has designed the cocktail menu using similar influences including the Veldt Smash (H&T Veldt Grog, Sage, Thyme, Lemon, Honey), Stellen-Spritz 4 Palate Cleanser (Caperitif Rosso, Pink Grapefruit Juice, Graham Beck Sparkling Wine, Wild Jasmine Syrup) and the Tequila Fig Cobbler (El Jimador Reposado Tequila, Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Fig, Solerno). While the first floor dining room will be dominated by a huge fire the bar on the lower floor will feature a huge block of ice cut during the night with a bespoke heated copper-pipe cutter.
The team behind Hammer and Tongs are a collective of stars in the hospitality industry which the owner has sourced throughout his career in the industry as a drink buyer. The architects, designers, bar, kitchen, Front of House and PR team are all great friends and past colleagues. This sentiment is reflected in the philosophy of the braai; primal elements of smoke, fire, food and good company is an everyday celebration of life. Hammer & Tongs is designed on the premise that these moments are to be savoured, surrounded by great company and great food.
171 Farringdon Road
Upstairs : 40
Downstairs : 40 / 9 bar seats / 20 PDR
11am – Midnight
Soft Launch Offer:
50% off food only for one week
– Arctic Spruce-salted Monkfish with Fennel, Aji Panca Pepper, Courgette, Confetti Bush
– Blackened Lamb Sosaties with Plum, Red Bell Pepper, Shallot, Balderjan, Yoghurt and Sour Fig
– Glazed Tiger Prawns with Green papaya, garlic buchu, black olive
– Herb-Rubbed Vegetables with Mealies, Bell Peppers, Aubergine, Vine Tomato, Pesto Verdi
Steaks & Cuts:
– Aged Bone in Rib-Eye Steak 600g with Grill-Baked Potatoes, Heritage Roots & Molho Camperio Salsa
– Salted Wild Sorrel Venison Fillet 300g with Grilled Roasted Chestnut, Endive, Pomegranate, French Beans, Citrus Vinaigrette
– Lamb Chop with Soft Polenta, Hazelnut, Parmesan-Mascarpone, Chives, Sage and Nutmeg all grilled in Banana Leaf
– Whole Tile Grilled Trout with Lemongrass, Thyme, West Cape Aromats, Sundried Tomatoes, Basil Oil, Lavender Salt Flakes
– Mussels / Oxtail / Ostrich Potije all served with Braai baked Pot-bread
– Argentinian Salad with Tomato, Courgette, Red Onion, Parsley, Sherry Vinegar, Sea Salt, Olive Oil, Pepper, Avocado
– Cous-Cous Salad with Israeli Cous-Cous, Roast Butternut, Toasted Pine Nuts, Augustus Bitter, Sultanas, Fresh Herbs, Lemon Zest, Speckled Goat’s Curd, Olive Oil
– Black Bean Cassoulet
– French Beans with Citrus Vinaigrette
– Mealies (corn on the cob)
– Braai-Baked Pot Bread
– Malva Cake
– Apricot Sabayon
H&T Martini: Black Cow Vodka, Aquavit, Caperitif Dry & Lemon Oil. Smoked Salmon, cream cheese and dill canapé
Table Mountain Bellini: Peach, Passionfruit , Graham Beck Sparkling Wine
House Sour: Portobello Road Gin, Lemon Juice. Mint optional.
Stellen-Spritz 4 palet cleanser: Caperitif Rosso, Pink Grapefruit Juice, Graham Beck Sparkling Wine, Wild Jasmine Syrup
Tequila Fig Cobbler: El Jimador Reposado Tequila, Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Fig, Solerno.
Cape Mule: St Teresa Gold Rum/Blackwells Rum, Haycocks No.9, Rooibos, Ginger, Bitters, Lime.
Veldt Smash: H&T Veldt Grog, Sage, Thyme, Lemon, Honey
Blitz: Klipdrift, Absinthe, Lemon, Cassis, Honey, Apple
Barker Treacle: Aged Rum, Bitters, Apple Foam, Cinnamon
Drift Wood Old Fashioned: Oak Smoke, Bourbon, Bitters, Orange Oil
Zatarra Flip: Klipdrift, Amarula, Cream, Egg Yolk￼